[Phpmyadmin-devel] "too many fields" bug solved by magic?!?!?

Eugenia Loli-Queru eloli at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 02:07:06 CEST 2001

I don't think the bug is solved. It is there, but depends how much RAM you
have in your PC it will show depending on how many table fields you add (it
seems to be a RAM/no of fields problem).

>The bug report in phpwizard forum talked about creating more than 14 fields
>under IE5.5: the controls were non functional and there was an out of
memory error.

Exactly. Check the screenshot:
http://www.intelligentfirm.com/eugenia/php-bug.jpg
It highlights the problem. Please note the bug is reproducible with IE5 and
IE5.5.
I upgraded to IE6 just yesterday and the bug *remains*. The bug can also be
seen with Netscape 4.x under certain circumstances.

At the moment that IE is trying to render all these drop down menus, the
machine becomes a hog. Too many resources are used, too much memory and CPU.
Trying to load EVEN notepad, you get an "out of memory" error, as seen in
also in the screenshot after trying to load Opera5. Closing down IE or
switching to another web page, almost frees the memory and the OS becomes
usable again.

The bug is certainly reproducible with Win98 and IE5.5/6. I haven't tried it
with Win2k. My machine is a dual Celeron 533 Mhz with 256 MB of SDRAM.

Eugenia

---
Editor in Chief @ www.OSNews.com