[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: authentication with session

Loïc loic-div at ifrance.com
Fri Jul 6 13:42:25 CEST 2001

Hi Marc & all!

>maybe we could continue to support "advanced auth" (http-
>style) but offer for PHP4 users a new session-based login
>panel?

IMHO sessions are too buggy to be use with such a
widespead application. Search for the keyword "sessions"
in the php bug database and you'll find there were and still
exist many problems depending on:
- directives in the php.ini file (for example session are
   unusable with register_globals set to off since php4.01);
- the php4 sub-release;
- and the server OS.

... I'm afraid so many parameters can't be taken into account
to obtain a working session authentification system :(

Just my 2 cents,
Loïc