[Phpmyadmin-devel] gzip of the dump (repost)

Armel FAUVEAU webmaster at phpindex.com
Tue Jul 10 15:45:57 CEST 2001

Hi Marc,

> can you look at this patch from the forum:
>
> One thing about the CVS, takes a lot of CPU time to build the download,
> whether its gzipped or not

I think that it is normal.
Previously, the CSV construction was done gradually. With echo.
Now, all the CSV is buffered in a big string.
After, this string is gziped or not.

It is the same approach for dump.

I know that it's not perfect, but if we want another solution, i think that
we must use exec() or system() and have some (read/write) access on the
server. I don't like that :/

> and i suggest a slight change to the extension code so that files
> extracted end up with an appropriate
> extension.

Ok, but i have got a problem.

If the filename of the export is 'foo.sql.gz', this file is saved as
- under Windows (NT2000/IE 5.5) : foo[1].sql.gz
- under Unix (Linux or FreeBee / Netscape Communicator 4.7) : foo.sql

If you want to test, just change line 26 in tbl_dump.php by :

         if($gzip == "gzip") $ext .= ".gz";

It's so strange.
Maybe a problem under HTTP Header.

Is there a master/guruz of the protocol HTTP among us ?
Any idea ?

Regards,

Armel.