[Phpmyadmin-devel] [phpMyAdmin] Re: Multi-language support

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Sun May 6 23:18:29 CEST 2001

On Sun, 6 May 2001, [iso-8859-1] Loïc wrote:
> >>- headers that should be handled by php rather than
> >>'meta' tags. These headers are cache instruction and
> >>charset definition;
HTTP Headers are definetly better than META tags.

> An other problem is that phpMyAdmin do not send any
> DTD at the beginning of generadted HTML pages. This
> do not fit the W3C standards and may be the reason of
> many problems (at least with IE5 for Mac).
Besides the missing DTD, although our HTML is well formatted enough to
have netscape working correctly, it does not conform to the XHTML
standard. For the majority of my recent projects I have validating against
the XHTML 1.0 Transitional DTD, and I find it renders nicely in the great
majority of browsers out there, bar a few really old netscapes and IE's.
Having a DTD and conforming to it 100% would be a majority improvment to
our code.

> >I agree that we should use external style sheet.
> >But not sure if making it a php file itself a good
> >idea.
I would be all for using a PHP stylesheet. The browser in theory only
requests a stylesheet once, and reuses it a lot. Advantages of a PHP based
stylesheet would be:
- Proper Multi-lingugal font support.
- Support for less than 100% functional browsers for some CSS tags. (Eg.
netscape 4 & fonts)

> How can the take into account the font face else? The
> only alternative I can image is... to have one external
> stylesheet per language! Not sure it's a very good
> solution ;)
I would suggest:
/stylesheet.php
/css/common.css
/css/(charset|language|some-identifer).css

Stylesheet.php should include common and the correct other stylesheet.
And it would be called as:
<link rel="STYLESHEET" type="text/css" href="/stylesheet.php?charset=en" />

> >Let's consult the dev-list.
> Here we are
Veni, Vidi, Conferotuli
(I came, I saw, I discussed)

--
---
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)
-----GEEK CODE-{---
Version: 3.12 Serial: 2001041400
e* h! tv-- X+ W+++ N+++ w--- M P+ R O-
D++ V-- PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ r !y t-- 5
s+:- b+++
---}-GEEK CODE-----
-----PGP INFO-{---
Key ID:0x7E20DFA1
FingerPrint:
5447C73A 30FB144C 89521B69 2D6A615E 7E20DFA1
---}-PGP INFO-----