[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: RC for 2.2.2 (indexes editing,....)

Fri Nov 16 06:53:02 CET 2001

Loïc a écrit :

> To all: two questions about indexes...
>
> 1. Do we still need "Primary, Index...." to be displayed in the table
> properties
>     for each colums? IMHO the patch from Michal is enough and those features
>     are deprecated.

Difficult question :)  For developers it would be easier to maintain only the new style of index
creation.

For experimented users, I think it would be cleaner to remove the links and always use the new index
module.

However, beginners (and maybe pros) will prefer some quick links to click, than go to a separate
index page.

> 2. What to do whith indexes while creating a table? Should we keep this
>     feature as is (maybe just replace the three checkboxes by a combo) or
>     extend the index creation so it looks like the patch from Michal?

I would prefer to remove completely the links and put a message saying that now, phase 1 is fields
creation and phase 2 is index creation, available on the properties page.

Maybe go automatically to phase 2!

The new index module needs to have the fields already created, so we will have to have 2 phases.

But there will be complaints :)

If we keep the current checkboxes, users will think that the index possibilities in phpMyAdmin are
quite limited.  If we remove them, they will see the complete index module on a separate page.

Marc