[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: Debate on using newly added PHP (and MySQL) functions in core phpMyAdmin functions:

Tue Sep 25 12:06:59 CEST 2001

Geert Lund - SilverSoft Productions a écrit :

> Hey again :-)
>
> > Debate? Which debate? It's a requirement, isn't it?
>
> Well, if we decides that we don't give a damn about older software-versions
> then we can do it - so we must start with agreeing that it's a requirement
> and not an option... But hopefully we all agree - but I mention it because
> we are many people in the development team - and because more and more
> people (users) suggest ways of improving the source code - and my point was
> that not all bugfixes may just end up implemented in phpMyAdmin without
> checking (and maybe even discussing) security and compablity issues...
>
> My greatest fear at the moment is that with all the many code-changes that's
> made every day - that we start to compromise with both security and
> compability issues - and with this very powerfull database administration
> tool - it's IMNSHO very - very very - important to always keep security
> issues as a top priority - it's better to leave out a fancy feature to later
> implementation - than to just give a damn about the security and hope that
> it'll be fixed later...

Geert,

I respect the points you mention, but I would like a clarification on your part.

Are you only "feeling" a fear, or do you have facts to back your point that the code-changes
are starting to compromise security and compatibility?

The beauty of open-source development is that anyone can see the changes and send warnings
to a developer or to the list; and I think that all developers here are open
to discuss their changes and improve our collective skills.

Marc