[Phpmyadmin-devel] Bugs #461192 & 463683 and 2.2.1 release and bug

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Tue Sep 25 22:55:02 CEST 2001

> > question about translating: someone explain how/ where overhead is
> > used? i cannot produce it.
> It's used in the "Space usage" part of the table properties and print view. I
> guess it only exists for certain table types though; I don't seem to be able
> to make it show either, and I can't tell where it would come from by looking
> at the code.

follow the simple set of instructions below to make it show up (and go
away again)

# use the test database, create a table, and put some data in
USE test;
CREATE TABLE a ( a varchar(255) default NULL ) TYPE=MyISAM;
INSERT INTO `a` (`a`) VALUES ('fooooooofooooooofooooooo');
INSERT INTO `a` (`a`) VALUES ('fooooooofoooooooWHAM');
INSERT INTO `a` (`a`) VALUES ('fooooooofoooooooBAR');
# now look at the properties of the table, no overhead yet
DELETE FROM a WHERE a='fooooooofoooooooWHAM';
# now look at the properties of the table again, there is an overhead now
OPTIMIZE TABLE a;
# now look at the properties of the table yet again, overhead gone

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
"Robbat2"
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)
-----PGP INFO-{---
Key ID:0x7E20DFA1
FingerPrint:
5447C73A 30FB144C 89521B69 2D6A615E 7E20DFA1
---}-PGP INFO-----