[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: DB-based configuration

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Wed Apr 24 13:07:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Robin Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Loïc wrote:
> > >Rather than support the old file format, I will ask a friend
> > >that does a lot of regex replacement strings if there is a
> > >perl s/// command we can use to convert the existing config
> > >file they have to the new format.
> >
> > Tht's not a so good idea: preg is an optionnal module for php3,
> > that's why we use only regexp in the whole code.
> > Moreover I'm pretty sure it's a hardest work for the server to
> > parse the file using regexp or preg than including a file with
> > some basic tests and affectsations.
> I hadn't meant include it in the source, but rather just have a perl
> script in our scripts/directory for the people converting to the new
> version to use.
Ok, I got whacked over the head by a Perl-promoting friend. For doing the
$cfg conversion manually, and he showed me most of what I needed to write
a script for it.
Take a look at scripts/convertcfg.pl

Recommended usage:
mv config.inc.php3 config.inc.php3.old
scripts/convertcfg.pl <config.inc.php3.old >config.inc.php3

Possibly we should list that in the Documentation, for those who are
upgrading?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net