[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: suggestion for Documentation after 2.3

Marc Delisle Delislma at CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca
Thu Jul 25 11:14:03 CEST 2002

Alexander Turek wrote:

> Beck, Mike wrote:
>
>>hi all,
>>
>>what i think should still be improved is the way to get to the
>>documentation... at the moment we basically assume (hope/pray whatever)
>>that
>>anybody has read the document fully and still remembers it when he uses
>>PMA.

> My idea was to introduce something like context help in phpMyAdmin.
> I'd also add those ? icons to the interface, but instead of jumping to an
> anchor in the documentation I'd prefer to display a short (maybe even
> localized) text in a JS window that tells the user more a bout a specific interface
> element.
> I'd also offer this context help for popular error messages i.e. if the
> MySQL server refuses the username / password.

I definitely support this idea of context help, using the /lang files.

I don't think that we need to change the format of those files, for
context help.

>> 2) wasn't there some thought on having the docu in a different format?
>>(sgml, xml or whatever)
>>

> XML would allow us to translate and modify the documentation more easily.
>

>> 3) i expect nobody ever really hoped we could get the whole docu
>>translated, or?
>>

> During the Easter holidays I had a little too much time... So... I have a
> German docu for 2.2.6-dev that is at about 50%... ;-)
> I don't think we need a translated documentation in the distribution, but it
> would be something nice for phpMyAdmin.net, wouldn't it?

Yep.

> Have a clean RC4,

Sure :)

> Alexander