[Phpmyadmin-devel] Parser bugs

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Tue Jul 30 23:09:03 CEST 2002

Hi List,

With the parser bug system, both loic and rabus have seen the bug reports
and asked what they actually are.

So, to aid everybody in future, there is a new script with phpMyAdmin.
scripts/decode_bug.php3

Paste the bug data into it, and hit submit.
It will give you the data output.

On the note of the parser bug output.
We have had two bug reports with it,
588485 and 588116.

Both of them have been the simple problem that the uploaded file was not
ASCII, and contained invalid binary data that the system could not handle.

I'm not sure what the behavior was before the SQL parsers were used, but I
think it would have dumped the input as invalid.

I see two fixes:
1. Change the upload message to specify ASCII files are required.
OR
2. Handle binary files that are uploaded.

Doing #2 would be a major undertaking and very difficult due to the amount
of work needed. Instead I think that #1 should be implemented. Because
sending binary data to something expecting ASCII is definetly a case of
user error.

BTW, nowhere does the SQL Parser have a problem with blob data in as a
binary format, that is handled correctly by the SQL parser already.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2