[Phpmyadmin-devel] About patch 539183 - Different charsets in HTTP and MySQL

Robin Johnson robbat2 at fermi.orbis-terrarum.net
Thu Jun 6 20:11:01 CEST 2002

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Michal Cihar wrote:
> What do you think is better? The second way surely looks better, is a bit
> simplier to maintain and would allow later to make some other mysql calls
> modifications much faster. The first one should be a bit faster (one function
> call less) and is already implemented (IMHO the change to second one
> shouldn't be much complicated since majority of changes to this I did
> automatically using some sed expressions).
I think the second one would be better. PMA_mysql_query(something) is
definetly easier to read and maintain than the first method.

> Without reference to this I will split from my patch some parts which really
> don't belong there and appeared there just because there were some bugs in
> PMA code when using non ascii characters and I found them during testing this
> patch.
Definetly splitting the patch up will get code accepted and tested faster.

> Short summary what is currently included in patch:
> - added conversion functions into libraries/common.lib.php3
How big are they? They might belong in a new file instead.
Possibly libraries/langconv.lib.php3

> - added lang/{czech,english}-utf8.inc.php3
Could you write some documentation on how people should write UTF-8
translations?

How well tested is this patch in terms of browsers? Is there any danger of
it breaking older or uncommon systems. One testcase I would like to see is
using PMA from a web-enabled cell phone.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2