Re(2): [Phpmyadmin-devel] On relation table field names

Jay Davis gurufish at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 26 07:31:11 CEST 2002

Mike and PMA Devs:

>hmm i don't think so, in your example clearly the order is the master table
>and the articles are in a detail/slave whatever you might call it table. of
>course the column in the mastertable that links to the details table is
>called foreign key, but because it links _to_ a foreign table, so articles
>is this foreign table that it links to.

I think it is much more clear to think of foreign and primary KEYS rather
than foreign and master TABLES. The concept of foreign and primary keys
is static. That is, it doesn't depend on which table you are looking at:
Each key in each table is either a foreign or a primary key, period.
Let's use that clarity since it is something that all DBAs understand.

As it is now, the relation table is very confusing. I see your point, but
it is more important to use standard DBMS terminology. We want other DBA
professionals to look at this and immediately understand it.

Regards,

Jay Davis