[Phpmyadmin-devel] about &amp

Garvin Hicking phpmyadmin at supergarv.de
Mon Aug 4 14:51:04 CEST 2003

Hi Marc!

> please have a look at index.php3 and tell me why we are using a syntax like this:
>
> . '&hash=' .

Any special chars embedded into HTML need proper encoding. As normally the
ampersand-sign implies an entity, a lookup for an &hash entity would be made. But
instead, '&' is used to explicitly tell the browser that this is not an entity.

This & syntax is recommended by W3C and mandatory for valid XHTML.

I'm not familar if there are any old-browser issues with that syntax or server issues. I
only know that you can set an argument separator (usually '&') in the php.ini file.

If I recall the bugreport correctly, a recent browser is used on a recent php
installation. Has the person's php.ini settings (and possibly any .htaccess or equal
directives) been posted yet? Maybe the argseparator is different than the default?

Possibly there could be some (mod_rewrite) rewriting/redirection impled in the person's
server setup, causing the QueryString-Parameters to be lost. Possibly a HTTP/1.0 vs.
/1.1 issue, or some proxy software involved? May also be a follow-up error of FAQ #1.29?

Regards,
Garvin.

--
Bye,