[Phpmyadmin-devel] 'Insert data from a textfile into table' link place

garvin_mailings at supergarv.de garvin_mailings at supergarv.de
Sun Feb 2 14:13:52 CET 2003

Hi!

> Well, some time ago, I suggested to move the query box to a JS window
> that may be opened via a link in the left frame.
> If we used this idea, we could replace the old "SQL" tabs (in the db
> view as well as in the table view) by an "Insert" tab.
> Here, we could put the whole upload and import stuff.
> I know this requires JS, but I'm sure we'll find a solution for this :-)

Even though something inside myself screams against using a popupwindow and
JS-only features, I get to like the idea.

But I think this is technically hard to get to work. I think the feature
would make only sense if the window could hover the whole time on screen and
will get updated with every query, leaving a query-history (which I
personally would love to have implemented). And there's the problem, without
a session management you can't get the variable transmission really to work.
Because of the size of a query, you have to do it via POST. You can't
redirect form-data from within a popup to the parent page. So you have to
submit to the popup, which then remotely controls a hidden form in the left
frame (by using opener.form.hiddenarea.value = $_POST['sql']) and then
remotely submitting that form inside the left frame.

We could, however make this popup window configable and throw the SQL box
in, if the popup is disabled. We would then have to have a new place for it,
if the SQL-button get's canceld, or display that label only for JS-disabled
browsers.

Well...after I'm done with mime-stuff and if this is a way to go for others
I could volunteer to implement the above mentioned approach. For
SQL-history's sake! :)

BTW, as I'm not into the project in general, what are/were your reasons
against sessions, if any?

Regards,
Garvin.