[Phpmyadmin-devel] MySQL 4 and phpMyAdmin

Rabus rabus at bugfixes.info
Wed Jan 15 07:59:01 CET 2003

Hi Marc and list,

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Delisle

> When I read this:
> https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=794733&forum
> _id=72909
> I am wondering just how we are compatible with MySQL 4.
> I still don't have a server with MySQL 4 here, to do some
> tests, but I think Alexander and/or Robin might have done this
> test?

The bugs the user is facing look rather like MySQL than phpMyAdmin ones.

I am running almost the same configuration as the described one (The
only difference is that I am using the latest CVS versions of php
(v4.4.0-dev) and phpMyAdmin) and I cannot reproduce any of the problems
described.

About how compatible we are with MySQL 4:
MySQL 4.0 is almost completely backwards compatible. Nevertheless, there
are a few changes that need additional support code. Since I joined the
project, I have been working on smaller patches in order to improve the
MySQL 4 support. With the current phpMyAdmin release (2.3.3-pl1), you
should still face two limitations with MySQL 4.0:

- With version 4.0.0-alpha, MySQL allows secure connections via SSL.
Supporting those secure connections is on the very top of my TODO list.
As far as I know, php itself does support it since v4.3.0.

- With MySQL 4.0.2-alpha, a new privilege system was introduced. My new
server_privileges.php3 script already supports the main part of this
system (It just ignores the SSL part for now). I'm advising anyone who
is using MySQL >= 4.0.2-alpha not to edit existing privilege
configurations with users_details.php3.

As a user reported, MySQL 4.1 introduces some major changes that seem to
confuse phpMyAdmin at the moment. I'll work on this as soon as MySQL
4.1.0 is released.

To sum it up:
- MySQL 4.0: We do not yet support all features, but wo shouldn't
destroy anything either.
- MySQL 4.1: Not supported.

By the way, 4.0.8-gamma is a rather buggy release. MySQL has already
released 4.0.9-gamma.

Alexander