[Phpmyadmin-devel] Java Applet

Michal Cihar cihar at liten.cz
Wed Jun 18 01:50:30 CEST 2003

Hi all

Finally some discussion except spams :-)

On 18.06.2003 00:08, Rabus wrote:
> Am Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:02:12 -0400 hat Marc Delisle
> <DelislMa at CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca> geschrieben:
>
> >Garvin Hicking wrote:
> >>
> >>Regarding the whole Java-thingie, I just have this pragmatic point of
> >>positioning (which is important for everyone seriously using the PDF
> >>feature? I don't see how this can be done with today's techniques, even
> >>though you all keep saying you don't like Java. :)
> >
> >I did not _say_ it :)

I did _write_ it :)

> >Can't easy positionning be done without dragging? just with js and some
> >clicking?
> >see http://javascript.internet.com/games/battleship.html
>
> OK guys, I think, I'll be busy trying to beat this battleship AI for a
> while... don't expect quick answers...

Well in javascript can be written many things...
http://www.fczbkk.com/js/worm/index.html
When you want draging, it is also possible:
http://www.fczbkk.com/bordel/defect/index.html :-)

> Marc, could you code something like that for our PDF creation mechanism?
> Personally, I'm not that good at JS. :-(

I'd also like it more in JS than in Java, because JS doesn't eat so much
memory, but I'm probably not able to write such thing...

> >>How about waiting if this person ever mails back (which he hasn't done
> >>so far) and let's evaluate that applet from a user's view?
>
> If he/she/it does so, please ask, if someone would keep on working on the
> applet in the future. I'm not that experienced with Java, so I won't be
> able to work on incoming bug reports etc and I guess I'm not the only

We're discussing about somehing we haven't seen yet, we don't know
whether it works and is usable :-). Let's wait for the applet and decide
then. But I'm also not able to maintain it...

--
Regards
	Michal Cihar