[Phpmyadmin-devel] create_tables.sql oddness ?

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Fri Mar 14 02:54:15 CET 2003

Hi List,

I was just updated scripts/create_tables.sql so that it could be used
easier in general as well as used on the automatic demo site in a
fashion (mainly I it drops the tables before adding them, to avoid
errors and get the latest versions possible).

Looking thru it, I noticed they are very uneven in how they handle
integers:
PMA_bookmark.id - INT(11) AUTO_INCREMENT
PMA_table_coords.pdf_page_number - INT
PMA_pdf_pages.page_nr - INT(10) UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT
PMA_column_info.id - INT(5) UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT
PMA_history.id - BIGINT UNSIGNED AUTO_INCREMENT

All of the fields should be unsigned first of all, signed values don't
make sense for them.

BIGINT is defeintly overkill for the data, it should get changed to INT
at least.  We aren't going to have more than 2^32-1 history items AFAIK
;-).

For my biggest MySQL box, I had a total of 22 databases, 180 tables and
897 fields. This comes to 127mb of data I have.  So that's a a INT(3) I
could use on PMA_column_info.id already. However, for larger installs, I
don't know if INT(5) would be enough.

AFAIK there are no performance boosts/losses for using smaller/larger
INT(n) sizes, the only thing that happens is that you need to sort them
out if you get bigger numbers than that. Could we just set all of them
to INT(11) as the maximum ? (that's the largest value that makes any
difference [-2147483648] as well as the default for 'INT').

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail     : robbat2 at orbis-terrarum.net
Home Page  : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2