[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: PHP 3 Compatibility

Michal Cihar nijel at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 19 03:08:03 CET 2003

Hi all

moving this duscussion to list, because I thing it should be there :-)

Original message (Garvin Hicking, 19.11.2003 11:57):
> a) Wait until after 2.5.5 RC1 and apply changes to HEAD then.
> Pro: No hurry for now.
> Con: I might not have the time then :)

No need to wait, if you have time :)

> b) Branch off a QA_2_5_5 tree now, make the RC out from that branch
> and apply my changes to HEAD now.
> Pro: Work can start immediately, a quite stable 2.5.5 release.
> Con: Later PHP4-enabled release

We will say that we don't support php3, but the code will still contain
many things for php3...

> c) Branch of a PHP4_QA tree, apply my changes to that branch, merge
> the changes to HEAD later on.
> Pro: Agitate on a 'secure' branch, work can start immediately
> Con: Maybe harder to merge afterwards, less people testing it (because
> CVS snapshot is from HEAD, and people using CVS directly will most
> likely use HEAD as well).

People expect HEAD to be the currently developped one, changing this
confuses them.

> d) Make changes to HEAD. Make 2.5.5 the first PHP4-release, thus
> moving the 2.5.5 RC1 about 1-2 weeks later and having huge changes in
> that 2.5.5 release.
> Pro: Making a real worthy 2.5.5 release? Work can start immediately.
> Larger testing user base.
> Con: No 2.5.5 release with the latest features, moved schedule.

Good solution. If there are not any things that are worth of releasing
quickly, I'd prefer this.

	Michal Cihar

More information about the Developers mailing list