[Phpmyadmin-devel] Icons or texts as default

Rabus derrabus at gmx.de
Mon Sep 15 07:23:03 CEST 2003

Hi Michal & list,

Michal Cihar wrote:

> Hi all
>
> from forum:
>
> --- %< ---
> I just upgraded to 2.5.3. I am thankful for the bug fixes,
> but I must say that I don't care for the icons for actions.
> Too cryptic. Especially if you haven't used phpMyAdmin
> before. (Although, I've been using it for a long time.)
>
> May I suggest that a mode that combines the icon with the
> text might be the best default setting for new users. Leave
> the terse cyptic icon only view for people who are very
> familiar with the program and want to conserve on screen real estate.
> --- %< ---
>
> I completely agree with that, just icons are IMHO not the
> best default...

I disagree.
Instead, we should think about how we could make our icons better.

Text does take too much GUI space. This is basically why I'd prefer the
iconic view.

As a compromise, we could try to make some JS Tooltips that appear instantly
next to the pointer if you move it over an icon.

Regards,

Alexander