[Phpmyadmin-devel] Icons or texts as default

Tom Sommer ts at dreamcoder.dk
Mon Sep 15 14:53:08 CEST 2003

Michal Cihar wrote:

> I just upgraded to 2.5.3. I am thankful for the bug fixes, but I must
> say that I don't care for the icons for actions. Too cryptic. Especially
> if you haven't used phpMyAdmin before. (Although, I've been using it for
> a long time.)
>
> May I suggest that a mode that combines the icon with the text might
> be the best default setting for new users. Leave the terse cyptic
> icon only view for people who are very familiar with the program and
> want to conserve on screen real estate.
> --- %< ---
>
> I completely agree with that, just icons are IMHO not the best
> default...

If I may share my thoughts on this.

I upgraded to latest CVS and after noticing the new icons i started to
find a way to remove them. I couldn't find it - so I mailed garvin who
told me what config option to toggle.

Now I have it set to 'both' which I *really* like, the icons alone are
*too small* to provide /fast and easy/ handling of functions - So the
icons with the "tooltips", are to me, the best choice for a default option.

The main thing is to preserve good overview, which the icons alone does
not do.

PS. let's not take this tooltip too the extreme with yellow popups etc.
that just doesn't strike me as an phpmyadmin style :)

Setting $cfg['PropertiesIconic'] to 'both' is the right thing to do and
will keep everyone happy

Just my two cents :)
--
Tom Sommer, Denmark