[Phpmyadmin-devel] Roadmap? Feature plans for PMA 3.0?

Marcel Tschopp marcel.tschopp at gmx.net
Thu Apr 15 10:13:11 CEST 2004

> Hi
>
> On 15.04.2004 16:40 +0200, Marcel Tschopp wrote:
> > Olivier wrote:
> > >
> > > using php-sessions, or a custom system, based for example on a mysql
> > > table?
> > Yes, for session security I think it is better to use a mysql table to
> > store session data. And the user has not to use cookies...
>
> Php sessions work also without cookies and you can store them anywhere
> you want (see session_set_save_handler). This is definitely less work
> than custom system and also probably more efficient.
I agree. You also have to use session_set_save_handler when using a db...
I agree also that it is less work, but using a db don't uses very much
work...

> > > This would be interesting, but would not be phpmyadmin anymore.
> > > This could be called 'PearDbAdmin', 'PhpDbAdmin', 'PhpAdodbAdmin',
> > > etc... :)
> > >
> > > just googled a bit: phpdbadmin is already there, at least on SF:
> > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpdbadmin/, but:
> > > "Development Status: 1 - Planning", and seems to be dead. Description
> > > is: "PHP-based (multiple-)database administration utility. Bringing
> > > multiple database servers and multiple databases together into one
> > > simple web-based interface. The power of PHP and the ease of the web.
> > > Currently planned to allow easy simultaneous access"
> >
> > If we would make a code rewrite, it would be easy to make phpMyAdmin
> > (phpDBAdmin?) to work with postgresSQL. Other DBs could also be
> > integrated... :-)
>
> I do not thing it is so easy. Each DB has specific features and to make
> one code support them all it would become much complicated.
But if you have a good oo-interface it is much simpler than now. And
pgSQL is pretty similar to mysql. And many people is using pgSQL instead
of mysql (i cannot understand the reason :-)

> > > - get rid of all the HTML/javascript code from the PHP files
> > >   -> templates. would require quite a lot of work, so
> > >      probably it would be good to start from scratch
> > +1 for templates. The coding would be much easier!
>
> I agree.
>
> > > - focus on php5/mysql 4.1+ only  (and of course continue to improve
> > >   PMA 2.x for php4 and mysql4)
> > My idea is also to make the code cleaner, eg. use an oo-style api (php5),
> > pear coding standarts, pear documentation standarts etc.
> >
> > > - newbie / expert mode  (newbie -> for example to let my mother update
> > >   her guestbook entries, expert -> for php devels, etc.)
>
> Would be nice and it is much requested, but it's hard to determine what
> all should be in newbie mode => user should be able to select what he
> wants to see...
>
> > > - use "standard" gettext/po files for translations
>
> Probably easier to maintain, but it increases number of php modules
> needed. How is it with gettext availability on windows?
>
> > > - online interface for translations (put all the strings in a db, to
> > >   let the translators update their stuff directely)
>
> Do you know any system that would allow this for po fileS?
>
> > > - we currently have a low manpower. Any plan will have to take this into account,
> > > even though I agree that the release of 3.0 can attract some other developers
> > Agreed. Eventually we should write that on the phpmyadmin.net homepage?
> >

> > > - we have a very big features requests list; some day we will have to deal with it
> > Yes, but at the moment it is really hard to implement those features. As
> > I said above I would really like to make a complete rewrite for 3.0.0.
> > How do you think about that?
> >

> > > - bug fixing takes a lot of time (but I agree that a part of this could be avoided
> > > with some structural changes in the code)
> > Some structural changes or complete rewrite? :-)
>
> Starting from scratch would help much. It is much work and I'm not sure
> whether it is necessary right now. But the session stuff is needed and
> it will trigger many changes, so it's probably good reason for complete
> rewrite. When talking about this, we should also thing about another
> version control, that would allow more distributed development (I'm
> talking about GNU Arch = tla).

Yes, it is very much work. But now we have a few good reasons for that:
- using a template system
- session stuff
- using php5
- cleaner code