[Phpmyadmin-devel] phpMyAdmin 2.6.1-rc1 is released

Sun Dec 12 16:08:00 CET 2004

        _           __  __          _       _           _
   _ __ | |__  _ __ |  \/  |_   _   / \   __| |_ __ ___ (_)_ __
  | "_ \| "_ \| "_ \| |\/| | | | | / _ \ / _` | "_ ` _ \| | "_ \
  | |_) | | | | |_) | |  | | |_| |/ ___ \ (_| | | | | | | | | | |
  | .__/|_| |_| .__/|_|  |_|\__, /_/   \_\__,_|_| |_| |_|_|_| |_|
  |_|         |_|           |___/                                  2.6.1-rc1
                                   http://www.phpmyadmin.net

  phpMyAdmin 2.6.1-rc1 - December 12th, 2004

    A set of PHP-scripts to administrate MySQL over the Web.

  Announcement
  ------------

     The phpMyAdmin Project is proud to announce the immediate
     availability of the first release candidate of phpMyAdmin 2.6.1.

     Almost three months have passed since 2.6.0, although three patch releases
     were made to take care of several security alerts we received. In 2.6.1
     there are two more security fixes (and the official alert will be published
     in a few days). As a consequence of one of these fixes, if you want to use
     MIME-based external transformations you have to use a PHP version of 4.3.0
     or later.

     A big speed improvement for users of the "cookie" authentication type
     is included in 2.6.1-rc1, but you must be running on a Web server with
     the mcrypt PHP module.

     Another improvement worth mentionning, which relates to a new feature
     offered on MySQL 4.1.2+: on multi-user installations, the control user
     no longer needs to have any rights to the "mysql" db. It is now only used
     to access the linked-tables infrastructure (pmadb).

     Please note that it is not recommended to run this testing release on
     production environments.

     phpMyAdmin is a web administration tool for MySQL databases, intended to
     handle a whole database server as well as a single database. Over the years,
     it has become the most popular GUI for MySQL and is downloaded about 6,000
     times a day, according to SourceForge.net.

     The highlights of this release in detail:

  Highlights
  ----------

  Upgrade note:

     * Using external transformations now requires PHP > 4.3.0

  Improvements:

     * Big speed improvement (if using auth_type = 'cookie') by using the
       mcrypt library (if available on your system)
     * Improved wording when adding fields
     * (mysqli) support for compressed protocol and CLIENT_LOCAL_FILES
     * Clickable active server in left panel
     * Improved ANSI mode in various scripts
     * Hints added (light bulb)
     * Database copying
     * New Database Operations tab
     * Optional simple blocking of root login
     * Binary log display
     * Index creating on multiple fields
     * Improved displaying of messages below tabs
     * Handle MySQL "duplicate entry" error
     * User list: top index for user initials
     * Support for OLD_PASSWORD() function
     * Under MySQL 4.1.2+, we no longer need the control user to have
       rights over the "mysql" db
     * New checks for common index problems
     * Upload: show filename of uploaded file
     * Improved page selector when browsing foreign table values
     * Improved handling of InnoDB constraints
     * Speed up display for left panel with PMA infrastructure is used
     * New message "no activity..."

   Fixes:

     * Security fix against some crafted data allowing arbitrary program
       execution (if PHP safe mode is off and external transformations are
activated)
     * Security fix against a possible attack on read_dump.php
       (if PHP safe mode is off)
     * Incorrect appending of LIMIT to queries
     * Export: insufficient space to save
     * Export: convert end of line chars we get from MySQL
     * Wrong double column sort (with JOIN)
     * Export: (mysqli) some fields wrongly exported as BINARY
     * Illegal mix of collations for converted strings
     * Wrong tabbing from value to value
     * Allow work on temporary tables
     * UNIX_TIMESTAMP and optional parameter
     * Export: improved zip headers
     * 0 as field name caused problems
     * Incorrect handling when no default server defined
     * Export: Use just for SQL exports
     * Comments and multi-table selects
     * Security: deactivate the list of programs for external transformations
     * Incorrect handling of OFFSET
     * Better displaying of table-specific privileges for a db containing
       an escaped character
     * Since 2.6.0-pl3, connecting on a non-standard HTTP port did not work

    Detailed list of changes since version 2.2.0 is available under
    http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ChangeLog.txt

  Availability

      This way, you will be informed of new updates and security fixes.
      It is a read only list, and traffic is not greater than a few
      mail every year.

  Support and Documentation
  -------------------------

      The documentation is included in the software package as text and
      HTML file, but can also be downloaded from:

         http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/

      The software is provided as is without any express or implied
      warranty, but there is a bugs tracker page under:

         http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/   [click on "Bugs"]

      In addition, there are also a number of discussion lists
      related to phpMyAdmin.  A list of mailing lists with archives
      is available at:

         http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=23067  or
         http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/   [click on "Lists"]

      Finally, an users support forum is also available under:

  Known bugs
    or regularly check the sourceforge bugs tracker.

  Donations
  ---------
    The project accepts donations to help improve the product. There is
    a "Donations" link on http://www.phpmyadmin.net.

  Description
  -----------

    phpMyAdmin is intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. It
    can manage a whole MySQL server as well as a single database.

      Currently it can:
        - create, copy and drop databases
        - create, copy, drop, rename and alter tables
        - do table maintenance
        - delete, edit and add fields
        - execute any SQL-statement, even batch-queries
        - manage keys on fields
        - load text files into tables
        - create and read dumps of tables
        - export data to CSV, XML and Latex formats
        - administer multiple servers
        - manage MySQL users and privileges
        - check referential integrity
        - using Query-by-example (QBE), create complex queries automatically
          connecting required tables
        - create PDF graphics of your Database layout
        - search globally in a database or a subset of it
        - communicate in 47 different languages

  Authors & Copyright
  -------------------

      Copyright (C) 1998-2000 Tobias Ratschiller <tobias_at_ratschiller.com>
      Copyright (C) 2001-2004 Marc Delisle <DelislMa_at_CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca>
                              Olivier Müller <om_at_omnis.ch>
                              Robin Johnson <robbat2_at_users.sourceforge.net>
                              Alexander M. Turek <me_at_derrabus.de>
                              Michal Cihar <michal_at_cihar.com>
                              Garvin Hicking <me_at_supergarv.de>
                              Marcel Tschopp <ne0x_at_users.sourceforge.net>
                              + many other people
                                (check the CREDITS section of our documentation)

      (at your option) any later version.

      Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

Marc Delisle/ 2004-12-12