[Phpmyadmin-devel] about queryframe

Garvin Hicking phpmyadmin at supergarv.de
Wed Jun 16 01:53:06 CEST 2004

Hi Michal!

>> Merging the frames will destroy the query's window functionality to let it
>> stay
>> open and handle your click paths.
>>
>> I'm -10 ;) for merging, and sorry for writing so short - have no time. :(
>
> Could you please explain this a bit more later, when you have time?

Okay, here I'll try:

The queryframe is one frame which will never get reloaded. Thus it's a perfect
place to store persistant javascript variables. Storing them inside the left
frame will make this not possible.

The persistant variables are used to store the last used DB and Table name, and
used in this kind of situation: I open PMA, open the querywindow, type some
queries. Then I switch the DB/Table inside my PMA, browse a bit, and then want
to use a query on that DB/Table. Without queryframe, it would use the DB/Table
when the window was opened.

It is not possible to rewrite this code in a way that those variables are inside
the querywindow instead of the queryframe, because once the left frame is
loaded, the target window cannot be accessed anymore, as the opener/parent
changes.

For me, removing the queryframe would be to remove useful functionality. If we
were to drop the whole frameset-concept, that would be acceptable. But I
honestly see no reason to remove that useful frame, as long as we have frames.
The current way, with an "info"-frame is quite good, IMHO, so I'd like to leave
it that way.

Regards,
Garvin.

--
Garvin Hicking   | Web-Entwickler | Make me happy:
www.supergarv.de | #ICQ 21392242  | http://wishes.garv.info/