[Phpmyadmin-devel] phpMyAdmin 2.6.2-beta1 is released

Sun Mar 27 18:21:04 CEST 2005

           _           __  __          _       _           _
     _ __ | |__  _ __ |  \/  |_   _   / \   __| |_ __ ___ (_)_ __
    | "_ \| "_ \| "_ \| |\/| | | | | / _ \ / _` | "_ ` _ \| | "_ \
    | |_) | | | | |_) | |  | | |_| |/ ___ \ (_| | | | | | | | | | |
    | .__/|_| |_| .__/|_|  |_|\__, /_/   \_\__,_|_| |_| |_|_|_| |_|
    |_|         |_|           |___/                                  2.6.2-beta1
                                     http://www.phpmyadmin.net

    phpMyAdmin 2.6.2-beta1 - March 27th, 2005

      A set of PHP-scripts to administrate MySQL over the Web.

    Announcement
    ------------

       The phpMyAdmin Project is proud to announce the immediate
       availability of the first beta release of phpMyAdmin 2.6.2.

       Version 2.6.2 contains improvements for better MySQL 4.1 and 5.0
       support.

       phpMyAdmin is a web administration tool for MySQL databases, intended to
       handle a whole database server as well as a single database. Over the years,
       it has become the most popular GUI for MySQL and is downloaded about 6,000
       times a day, according to SourceForge.net.

       The highlights of this release in detail:

    Highlights
    ----------

    Improvements:

     * MySQL 4.1.x native column comments
     * MySQL 5.0: Basic detection mechanism for views:
           o Views are no longer displayed as tables in use
           o Ability to drop views
     * MySQL 5.0: Interface fixes and hardcoded virtual relations for information_schema
     * MySQL 4.1: Better automatic detection for available storage engines
     * New storage engines overview page
           o Plugin-like infrastructure for storage engine status monitors
           o Overview of startup variables and current values
           o MySQL 5.0 / InnoDB: Buffer pool activity monitor
     * MySQL 4.1.2+ TIMESTAMP options: initial support when editing table structure
     * Export: Native Microsoft Word 2000 and Excel 2000 formats
     * PDF schema visual editor: column names now optional
     * MySQL 5.0.3 new Japanese charsets support (cp932, eucjpms)
     * Parser: added missing date and time MySQL functions
     * Documentation: explain all Export options handling
     * Cookie paths: added / to end of path
     * Show database comments at more places
     * Better use of print styles in themes
     * Bookmarks: sort by label, remove the number before each label
     * Better protection against possible collation conflicts and out-of-sync errors in PMADB queries
     * Relation view: removed pmadb-style comments handling (now available just on the Structure page)
     * FAQ about using HTTP authentication under IIS
     * New editions for some language files (especially ISO-8859-15)

     Fixes:

     * Detection of SELECT query to display on multiple submits
     * PDF schema: missing header
     * A failed connection was not properly detected
     * Problem with Japanese language under MySQL 4.1.x
     * Export
           o Various errors under mysqli extension
           o SQL format under Safari browser
           o Do not offer export modes not available in current MySQL version
     * Changing the type of a FLOAT unsigned column
     * Adding field with collation
     * Calendar popup and TIMESTAMP field under MySQL 4.1.x
     * PHP 4.1.x: wrong parameter count (mcrypt.lib.php)
     * Problem when SHOW DATABASES is disabled
     * Copy table: commands out of sync
     * User management
           o Host not changing with editing user
           o Escaping character removed by error
     * MySQL 5.0.x: "No database selected" error
     * Print view: displaying of indexes
     * Cookie auth: error when blowfish_secret is empty
     * MySQL 4.1.2: "Reload MySQL" link not seen
     * MySQL 5 server binlog compatibility
     * PDF pages generation: wrong documentation
     * Inserted row id was not always correctly reported

      Detailed list of changes since version 2.2.0 is available under
      http://www.phpmyadmin.net/ChangeLog.txt

    Availability

        This way, you will be informed of new updates and security fixes.
        It is a read only list, and traffic is not greater than a few
        mail every year.

    Support and Documentation
    -------------------------

        The documentation is included in the software package as text and
        HTML file, but can also be downloaded from:

           http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/

        The software is provided as is without any express or implied
        warranty, but there is a bugs tracker page under:

           http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/   [click on "Bugs"]

        In addition, there are also a number of discussion lists
        related to phpMyAdmin.  A list of mailing lists with archives
        is available at:

           http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=23067  or
           http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/   [click on "Lists"]

        Finally, an users support forum is also available under:

    Known bugs
      or regularly check the sourceforge bugs tracker.

    Donations
    ---------
      The project accepts donations to help improve the product. There is
      a "Donations" link on http://www.phpmyadmin.net.

    Description
    -----------

      phpMyAdmin is intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. It
      can manage a whole MySQL server as well as a single database.

        Currently it can:
          - create, copy, rename and drop databases
          - create, copy, drop, rename and alter tables
          - do table maintenance
          - delete, edit and add fields
          - execute any SQL-statement, even batch-queries
          - manage keys on fields
          - load text files into tables
          - create and read dumps of tables
          - export data to CSV, XML and Latex formats
          - administer multiple servers
          - manage MySQL users and privileges
          - check referential integrity
          - using Query-by-example (QBE), create complex queries automatically
            connecting required tables
          - create PDF graphics of your Database layout
          - search globally in a database or a subset of it
          - communicate in 47 different languages

    Authors & Copyright
    -------------------

        Copyright (C) 1998-2000 Tobias Ratschiller <tobias_at_ratschiller..com>
        Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Marc Delisle <DelislMa_at_CollegeSherbrooke.qc.ca>
                                Olivier Müller <om_at_omnis.ch>
                                Robin Johnson <robbat2_at_users.sourceforge.net>
                                Alexander M. Turek <me_at_derrabus.de>
                                Michal Cihar <michal_at_cihar.com>
                                Garvin Hicking <me_at_supergarv.de>
                                Marcel Tschopp <ne0x_at_users.sourceforge..net>
                                + many other people
                                  (check the CREDITS section of our documentation)

        (at your option) any later version.

        Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307  USA

  Marc Delisle/ 2005-03-27