[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: config.inc.php with comments

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Tue Apr 11 07:02:00 CEST 2006

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:20:04 -0400
> Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca> wrote:
>
>> to ease installation, shouldn't we add a config.inc.php with only comments:
>>
>> <?php
>> // This is an empty config.inc.php. With this file you can connect
>> // to localhost with user "root" and no password.
>> //
>> // If you are upgrading, see Documentation.html, in the Installation
>> // section, the "Upgrading" paragraph.
>> //
>> // For a new installation, you can use our web-based setup script.
>> // See Documentation.html, "Setup script". Alternatively, you can
>> // copy libraries/config.default.php over the present config.inc.php
>> ?>
>>
>> Users are not supposed to upgrade from CVS. Maybe some do, so those
>> would have a problem... But the majority of users would be guided.
>
> But this breaks usage for developers who don't use empty root password.

And also introduces a potential problem of committing a personal
config.inc.php.

> (Or we have to go back to config.devel.inc.php).

Probably, yes.

I don't absolutely want a config.inc.php. What is important is to guide
users.

What about the idea of calling the setup script when no config.inc.php
is found, but add some doc links on the setup page, linking to the
upgrade section and to the setup script section in the doc?

This would break the idea of default localhost with root/no password,
which is maybe not bad to break anyway :)

Marc