[Phpmyadmin-devel] Public report-back about MySQLUC 2006

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Sun Apr 30 02:29:03 CEST 2006

Hi

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:33:39 -0700
"Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> This is the public portion of my report back on MySQL UC 2006.

Thanks for detailed report ;-).

> - I'll upload the template/datafiles for the posters and cards for
>   anybody else that wants them - you'll need Adobe Illustrator CS2 and
>   InDesign CS2 to edit them, so I'll put up PDFs as well.

Any chance to get something not that closed? For example SVG?

>   They were glad to see us there, and noted a few general things:
>   Their customers sometimes hit a blank page and have a hard time
>   tracing it down - mainly due to us turnings errors off. They would
>   like errors turned back on, to help them trace things. The IE/Gzip bug
>   is not involved, as many of them turn off gzip to avoid it. It might
>   be nice to detect Internet explorer and disable obzip when we have
>   $cfg['OBGzip'] = 'auto';
> - Similar to the previous item, I had a few users bring their laptops,
>   with reproduced bugs to show me - mainly configuration errors
>   compounded by the new system (old config files reused), and user
>   error. Turning on error display would help us a lot.
> - There was one very interesting real bug - the user had a replicated
>   database. Using 'DROP TABLE' on the master via the commandline,
>   replicated fine. Doing the same on the master via PMA didn't
>   replicate.

Could you please file requests you remember to bugs/feature tracker?

> - Spoke to Monty in the afternoon, and picked his brain about the oldest
>   GUI, he also believes it was PMA, but he said he'd check the collected
>   archives of MySQL email to be sure. He also mentioned something
>   lacking in PMA, and other apps in general at the moment - lack of a
>   good form builder tool for web interfaces, that is capable of hooking
>   up the form to the database directly - there's too much manual work
>   involved still.

Well I actually never understood what people expect from such feature.
We have it quite long in feature tracker [1].

1. https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=909506&group_id=23067&atid=377411