[Phpmyadmin-devel] Re: about bug tracker

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Sun Feb 5 15:36:02 CET 2006

Hi

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:13:16 -0500
Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca> wrote:

> I started to mark fixed bugs with:
> (ok 2.8.0-beta2)
>
> instead of
> (in 2.8.0-beta2)
>
> because sometimes, reporters think that the "in" means the bug happens _in_ a
> particular version.
>
> Would be better to use (fixed 2.8.0-beta2) but this takes 3 more characters that
> we often need in the bug description.

How about using better bug tracker? The one on sourceforge is simple,
but limits usage. Misusing (short) description for this is one
case. Better defined states of bugs and more fields are useful.
Basically what is needed for proper bug handling is: status, resolution
and in which version issue is fixed. Workflow could look like:

reporter:
New Issue

developer (when he wants to work on issue):
Status		new	=> assigned
Assigned To 	 => developer

developer (when issue is fixed):
Status  	assigned => resolved
Fixed in Version => 1.2.3
Resolution	open => fixed

reporter can here possibly reopen issue and it is put in feedback
state, so that it requires developer reaction.

release manager (when 1.2.3 is released):
Status  	resolved => closed

Resolved issues should be still listed until version fixing that issue
is actually released so that users can see them. I like this approach
much more than the one we currently use on sf.net.

If you want to see such tracker, you can look at mantis [1] or
bugzilla [2]. There are definitely more of them, but those two I know,
I run mantis for my projects [3]. Installing mantis on sourceforge
should not be a big problem.

1. http://mantisbt.org/
2. http://www.bugzilla.org/
3. http://bugs.cihar.com/