[Phpmyadmin-devel] PEAR coding standards about require_once

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Sat Jul 8 14:50:52 CEST 2006

Marc Delisle schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> don't you feel that something is not consistent between
>
> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.including.php
> and
> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.control.php

no

> "require_once" and "if" are both statements, so why does the PEAR
> standard say that you need parenthesis for "if" and not for "require_once"?

cause 'if' requires parenthesis for correct syntax

and if i would agree you than we had to rite

require_once ('file.php');

and not

require_once('file.php');

same for return

return ($var);

!!! BUT:

Note:  Note that since return() is a language construct and not a
function, the parentheses surrounding its arguments are only required if
the argument contains an expression. It is common to leave them out
while returning a variable, and you actually should as PHP has less work
to do in this case.

Note:  You should never use parentheses around your return variable when
returning by reference, as this will not work. You can only return
variables by reference, not the result of a statement. If you use return
($a); then you're not returning a variable, but the result of the
expression ($a)  (which is, of course, the value of $a).

i don't know if "It is common to leave them out while returning a
variable, and you actually should as PHP has less work to do in this
case." also applies to 'require'

so i think you should never write parenthesis where it is not required.

--
Sebastian