[Phpmyadmin-devel] Future of phpMyAdmin

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu May 25 14:36:05 CEST 2006

Hi

On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:16:26 -0700
"Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> It's not a positive sign, but it's not entirely negative either - there
> have been periods of quiet in the past, just because everybody is busy.

But this last period is taking almost year. With exception of Marc who
is still doing his constant amount work, Sebastian who started to code
and burn out and me who time to time finds time for really urgent
things I need and make tons of commits per day then.

> I think there is another side to this, that you are perhaps overlooking:
> Compared to existing functionality, how much do you actually NEED views
> and stored procedures?

We need at least some basic support - to allow work with those stuff
through SQL window, to correctly export and import them to SQL. People
do expect that dumps contain everything (see latest bug). Full GUI
would be nice, but that's not that urgent.

> Likewise, if your application is complex enough to actually require
> views, there are probably other parts of it beyond PMA.

You need to work directly with database even when creating complex
applications.

> As for changing the delimiter - I have tried to look into the mysqli
> interface for it, but I haven't found anything that seems to be correct
> for it.

We probably need to parse SQL to detect this case and then change
delimiter in SQL splitter.

> From being involved with other projects that have partipated in SoC
> before, there has been one very specific complaint - after the SoC was
> over, they never heard from the students again in many cases - and this
> lead to bitrot, because nobody on the existing project could/wanted to
> maintain the student's code.

I also saw that, however you can force them to make code readable and
maintainable, otherwise they won't receive their reward.

> In terms of future stuff, I may be revisiting the SQL parser code soon,
> with an eye towards interoperability, because I've been using PostGreSQL
> at my job, and phpPgAdmin forked from us a long time ago, and as such,
> doesn't have some things that we do, while instead taking different
> paths to some functionality - they don't have an SQL parser, but they do
> have some support for stored procedures and views.

Maybe it's time to merge back ;-). Feature sets of both databases are
very close now....