[Phpmyadmin-devel] 2.9.0.1 or 2.9.1

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Fri Sep 29 19:31:59 CEST 2006

Kenneth Porter schrieb:
> --On Friday, September 29, 2006 12:53 PM -0400 Marc Delisle
> <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca> wrote:
>
>> as suggested by Sebastian, maybe the next stable version with security
>> fixes should be named 2.9.0.1.
>>
>> Is it too late, now that 2.9.1-rc1 has been released? I think it would
>> be better to name it 2.9.0.1.
>
> Is the intention to distinguish between non-critical and critical bug fixes
> by using the 3rd versus 4th version field? (I have no preference. I'm just
> looking for clarification on how to interpret the resulting version number.)

a.b.c.d

increase in d has smallest changes. used mainly for security or urgent
fixes - make it easy for admins to update, by keep the changelog as
small as possible

increase in c is a mature bugfix release, possible with noticeable changes

increase in b introduces new features and behaviors

--
Sebastian