[Phpmyadmin-devel] going to PHP 5-only

Thijs Kinkhorst thijs at debian.org
Thu Jun 14 16:58:16 CEST 2007

On Thu, June 14, 2007 13:39, Marc Delisle wrote:
> phpMyAdmin has been invited by a group of well-known open source projects
> to participate in an initiative that is meant to promote PHP 5 and break
> the cycle where web hosts are not encouraged to upgrade to 5 because apps
> works on 4.
>
> Specifically, if we agree to this, effective 5 February 2008, any
> new-feature release will have a minimum required PHP version of 5.2.0.
>
> I like the idea of a group of projects doing this (so no one is
> penalized by being the first); I am in favor of this and would like your
> feedback.

I'm not a member of the development team, but I'm missing the most
important thing here: what are the concrete gains??

The most concrete drawback is that it will be hurting those users who have
no control over their host's PHP config or have other reasons not to
upgrade to PHP 5 yet.

I can see a move to PHP5 only have some benefits, but what are those
concretely? Can we have a list of improvements that will be possible in
phpMyAdmin with this decision? And do they offset the drawback for those
users I mentioned?

And if you decide to move to PHP5 only, how will PHP4-bound users be
security-supported?

thanks,
Thijs