[Phpmyadmin-devel] going to PHP 5-only

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Thu Jun 14 17:31:25 CEST 2007

Thijs Kinkhorst schrieb:
> On Thu, June 14, 2007 13:39, Marc Delisle wrote:
>> phpMyAdmin has been invited by a group of well-known open source projects
>> to participate in an initiative that is meant to promote PHP 5 and break
>> the cycle where web hosts are not encouraged to upgrade to 5 because apps
>> works on 4.
>>
>> Specifically, if we agree to this, effective 5 February 2008, any
>> new-feature release will have a minimum required PHP version of 5.2.0.
>>
>> I like the idea of a group of projects doing this (so no one is
>> penalized by being the first); I am in favor of this and would like your
>> feedback.
>
> I'm not a member of the development team, but I'm missing the most
> important thing here: what are the concrete gains??

less code
better code
taking advantage of many new features/functions in PHP 5
speed (not emulating functionality in userspace implemented native in PHP
functions)
less testing
less bugs

making life easier for us developers resulting in more power to develop new
functionality for phpMyAdmin

> The most concrete drawback is that it will be hurting those users who have
> no control over their host's PHP config or have other reasons not to
> upgrade to PHP 5 yet.

so i could ask back: what should this reasons be?
btw. it is not difficult ot run two PHP versions (4 and 5) on one host

> [...]
>
> And if you decide to move to PHP5 only, how will PHP4-bound users be
> security-supported?

i don't think that it is a problem to maintain a security branch for PHP 4
version of phpMyAdmin

don't forgat, we are tlaking about 2008!

--
Sebastian