[Phpmyadmin-devel] Theme names and advertising

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Mon May 14 11:07:43 CEST 2007

Thijs Kinkhorst schrieb:
> On Monday 14 May 2007 09:21, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
>> would you care if add a theme called
>>
>>  "Cybot's Orange Den"
>>  "Sebastian Mendel's Scalable"
>>
>> or is it just caused by the fact that there is a commerical company behind
>> the theme name?
>>
>> i think having a name behind/in a theme will also help to keep this theme
>> up-to-date - by the name-holder
>
> But it would create a strange suggestion if the theme is modified by someone
> else than the name-holder. Calling it "Sebastian Mendel's Scalable" indeed
> implies some kind of "ownership" of the theme, while the theme is open source
> and might be heavily modified by other developers afterwards up until a point
> that it's not even recognisable.

yes, of course, like any open source software, but that's up to the original
author - or any following author who can name his theme as he wants, even if
based on another theme

> I'd keep theme names generic in any case, be
> it a company name or individual.

i think it is like with any other open source software - the author can name
his piece like he wants - or do you think it is not 'allowed' for eZ to name
his software eZ..., or what about Zend and his zend-libararies?

we also include tcpdf, what do you think means 'tc'?

whole PMA is dedicated to 'MySQL' ...

and i really see ne sense in 'forcing' authors to specific theme names ...

--
Sebastian Mendel

www.sebastianmendel.de