[Phpmyadmin-devel] phpMyAdmin 5?

Thijs Kinkhorst thijs at debian.org
Wed Sep 12 08:33:52 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 12 September 2007 07:42, Sebastian Mendel wrote:
> no - i do not want to tie our version to theirs
>
> first - if they release new major versions we will not raise our minimum
> requirements
>
> it is just to make clear that our MINIMUM requirements for both version are
> now 5 or higher

I'm not in favour of such a thing. Just because they coincide now doesn't mean
they will ever again in the future. If you now tell people that there's some
link between the phpMyAdmin version and the upstream versions, they will
expect such a link to also be in other future versions where that link may
not exist at all.

There's already good places to document requirements. Lets just keep the
version numer a way to indicate which version is more recent than which, and
use bigger or smaller jumps to indicate the amount of changes (bugfix,
feature, major incompatibility release). Not more, not less.

Thijs