[Phpmyadmin-devel] localization

Marc Delisle Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
Wed Sep 12 12:47:34 CEST 2007

>>> http://pear.php.net/package/Translation2
>>> http://php-flp.sourceforge.net/getting_started_english.htm
>>>
>> So, we define a _() function which calls gettext functions which find
>> the proper string, and displays the one in English if not found in the
>> current language?
>>
>> But how do we specify which splitted file to use?
>>
>> And how do we decide how many splitted files there will be? Some are
>> easy to decide, for example all the $strPriv messages, but others are
>> used by more that one sub-system of PMA"
>
> splitting files was only one point - but does not imply that we should split
> files if not necessary - i did not check how much improvement this could give

I think speed improvements would not be noticeable.

On the other hand, I don't know about the speed of this _() function.
Does it have to open the lang file -- possibly two files -- for each
message to display?

> if we split, we could make some specific files and a generic file
>
> and it does not hurt to have some strings in more than one specific file -
> if required and gives any advantage

As a translator I would not like having a string in more than one file;
in fact I would prefer just one file.

Marc