[Phpmyadmin-devel] Setup script translation

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:24:30 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sep 4, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Marc Delisle <Marc.Delisle at cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
 > wrote:

> Piotr Przybylski a écrit :
>> I had several reasons for using separate files:
>> - I don't expect seeing setup script fully translated anytime soon,
>> hence it uses separate files
>> - I didn't want to add 29 KB of text which is used usually only once,
>> when installing PMA for the first time
>
> In fact, at installation time it might be important to reassure
> first-time users in their own language.

Quite true, i agree that localization is important - but what is the
performance cost of loading every time an extra 29KB of language
strings that are only rarely used? I don't know - and it could be
trivial compared to the hassle of maintaining ./lang and ./scripts/
setup_lang/ seperately. I only propose it in case the extra
performance hit is significant, which I doubt.

~Isaac