[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC Introduction

Derek Schaefer derek.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:17:14 CEST 2009

Greetings fellow phpMyAdmin developers!

My name is Derek Schaefer, and I will be improving the import system for my
GSoC project. This includes import plug-ins for Open Document Spreadsheet,
CSV (the existing one is to be extended), XML, and ideally other formats as
well. At the core of all this is a powerful extension to the current import
system; an intelligent table creation interface that will be capable of
detecting column types, recommending various important settings, but most
importantly, allowing the user to view and alter the table schema before
committing. This will be especially useful for loosely-typed formats such as
CSV, ODS, and PMA's current XML schema, among others.

The blog to which I will be posting updates is located here:
http://www.moonlapse.org/

Over the next couple days I will be adding all the information regarding my
project to the above blog for your viewing pleasure, so stay tuned!

I look forward to working with all of your over the coming months.

Take care everyone,
     -Derek Schaefer