[Phpmyadmin-devel] Clarification of 'Apply Changes' button in syncronization GUI

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Wed Jul 8 03:19:40 CEST 2009

Zahra Naeem a écrit :
  >  >Hi
>
>  >>Dne Thu, 2 Jul 2009 23:44:02 -0400
>  >>Isaac Bennetch <bennetch at gmail.com <mailto:bennetch at gmail.com>>
> napsal(a):
>
>  >> Hi folks,
>  >>
>  >> I recently read the post
>  >>
> http://trackingchangesphp.blogspot.com/2009/07/fine-tunings-in-gui-2.html
>  >>about recent updates to the synchronization and have some feedback if
>  >> it's okay.
>  >>
>  >> If I correctly understand the posting, the "Apply difference" button
>  >> will only synchronize the selected options whereas "Synchronize
>  >> Databases" instead will synchronize everything regardless of which
>  >> checkboxes are selected. So hitting "Select All" then "Apply
>  >> difference" would have the same effect as "Synchronize Databases",
>  >> right?
>  >>
>  >> If this is the case, I don't really see the point to having two
>  >> buttons; I imagine this will only confuse the user. IMHO having the
>  >>"Select All" link is sufficient and then extra "Synchronize Databases"
>  >> button is redundant.
>
>  >To me it also looks also redundant...
>
>  >--
>  >       Michal ?iha? | http://cihar.com <http://cihar.com/> |
> http://phpmyadmin.cz <http://phpmyadmin.cz/>
> Hi,
>    I wanted to clear that by pressing 'Select All' link in
> synchronization GUI, all the
> check boxes are checked. But it is not that by 'Select All', all the
> differences between
>  the source and target databases are saved or checked for later on
> application.
>
> The basic idea is that the user is allowed to press the colored buttons
> against
> each source table name. These buttons actually depict different types of
> synchronizations.
> By pressing each button, a message appears along with the check
> box. Therefore, I must
> explain that the check box and that message giving the number of rows to
> be updated and
> inserted appears only when any colored button is pressed.
>
> Therefore, after pressing 'Select All' link followed by 'Apply Changes'
> button, does not
> necessarily mean that both databases are synchronized completely.
> Therefore, in order to remove confusion, I have changed the button to
> 'Apply Selected
> Changes'.
>
> By the way, giving feedback and comments on my blog would really help me
> improve the
> design as well as interface of my project.
>
> Thanks, your suggestions are always welcome.
>
> I have updated my blog http://tarckingchangesphp.blogsopt.com
> <http://tarckingchangesphp.blogsopt.com/> also.
>
> Please do suggest any thing that you think would be more convenient for
> [...]

Hi Zahra,

On your screenshot with the green D, it's not clear (to me) that this
green D is a button, especially as there are two "real" buttons in the
lower part of the screen at the same time.

Maybe in this screenshot, the two real buttons in the lower part should
not be there when there is nothing to do before the user has clicked the
green D.

Also, as you have much room on this screen, instead of the colored
squares, please make real buttons.

Last point, I'm not sure that users will understand the difference
between Structure and Type.