[Phpmyadmin-devel] "Cannot modify header information" and strange character anomalies.

Derek Schaefer derek.schaefer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 21:45:10 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I'm having a couple issues that I can't quite pin down. They aren't
show-stoppers by any stretch of the imagination, but they're still
something I need to work out before the end of the summer.

I created a notification panel that displays the various structures
created or altered on import. To accomplish this I used the
PMA_Message::notice class to build a string of html, and then
->display() it, as should be done, I believe. When this panel is
displayed, there are several warnings regarding not being able to
modify header information, header info. already sent, etc. I know what
this means and mostly understand how PHP handles headers, but I'm not
entire sure why it is throwing these errors. Upon a successful import,
there is a PMA_Message::success element displayed under the navigation
buttons that tells how many queries were executed, etc., and that
doesn't cause header problems. I imagine this is cropping up because
of how I am using PMA_Message, although I'm using it in ways
demonstrated elsewhere.

Also, whenever the aforementioned notification panel is displayed,
strange character anomalies appear at the very bottom of the import
page. They change every time, but always take the form ",�<��Y". My
best guess is that it is related the the header issues, but until I
can get rid of them I can't know for sure.

Here is a screenshot of the character anomaly and a couple of the
header backtraces:
http://downloads.moonlapse.org/pma/import_issues.jpg

If anyone has some insight into these issues, I would greatly
appreciate any direction you could give.

-Derek