[Phpmyadmin-devel] "Cannot modify header information" and strange character anomalies.

Derek Schaefer derek.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 00:52:15 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Marc Delisle<marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Derek Schaefer a écrit :
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm having a couple issues that I can't quite pin down. They aren't
>> show-stoppers by any stretch of the imagination, but they're still
>> something I need to work out before the end of the summer.
>>
>> I created a notification panel that displays the various structures
>> created or altered on import. To accomplish this I used the
>> PMA_Message::notice class to build a string of html, and then
>> ->display() it, as should be done, I believe. When this panel is
>> displayed, there are several warnings regarding not being able to
>> modify header information, header info. already sent, etc. I know what
>> this means and mostly understand how PHP handles headers, but I'm not
>> entire sure why it is throwing these errors. Upon a successful import,
>> there is a PMA_Message::success element displayed under the navigation
>> buttons that tells how many queries were executed, etc., and that
>> doesn't cause header problems. I imagine this is cropping up because
>> of how I am using PMA_Message, although I'm using it in ways
>> demonstrated elsewhere.
>>
>> Also, whenever the aforementioned notification panel is displayed,
>> strange character anomalies appear at the very bottom of the import
>> page. They change every time, but always take the form ",�<��Y". My
>> best guess is that it is related the the header issues, but until I
>> can get rid of them I can't know for sure.
>>
>> Here is a screenshot of the character anomaly and a couple of the
>> header backtraces:
>> http://downloads.moonlapse.org/pma/import_issues.jpg
>>
>> If anyone has some insight into these issues, I would greatly
>> appreciate any direction you could give.
>>
>> -Derek
>
> Derek,
> I don't think that putting direct HTML tags in your messages is
> supported by this function. See the valid syntax in Message.class.php,
> in the decodeBB function.

Well, I gave it a shot to no avail. I even tried something as simple as:

PMA_Message::notice('Test')->display();

... and it still produced the same problem.

I'm thinking PMA just doesn't react well to functions printing
anything to screen that deep in the include tree, or at least that's
my guess at this point. If that's the case I'll need to find a work
around.

I'll look into this some more tomorrow.

-Derek