[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC tracking mechanism, status report July 13th - 17th

Zeeshan M. zeeshan.jp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:56:39 CEST 2009

Well, I wrote my first PHP/MySQL web application about 5 years ago for my
high school.  I mainly used Notepad for everything.  My final code was a
mess, and I also did not understand some of the code I wrote, but it was yet
a wonderful experience.

Then I began using PHP Editor, and used it for a few years to come.  It was
very lightweight, and did not have all the features found in nifty
modern-day IDEs such as debugging, and project management etc.  But it was
good for me as I was mainly looking for code highlighting feature.  It also
ran smoothly on my 128MiB RAM, and Intel Celeron powered machine.

For a past few months, I was using Eclipse PDT.  I have used Eclipse for
Java development before, and I was really fond of debugging feature it comes
with.  But I don't think it is really a good tool for PHP development.  To
my surprise, it did not come with "word wrapping" feature, and there was not
even any stable plugin to install it.  And the fact that it requires all
sorts of useless dependencies to run pushed me to finally quit using it.

I have tried several IDEs including NetBeans, VS Express, jEdit, and PHP
Designer etc, and none of them really impressed me much.  Most IDEs nowadays
come with so many features that I will never end up using.  I mean, I need
an editor to code that makes it comfortable for me to code by not giving me
all the junk that I don't want.

Well, for now, I am using Notepad++ on Windows.  It is pretty stable, and
light-weight, which is all I want.

Best regards,
Zeeshan Mughal
Email:  zeeshanmughal at ieee.org