[Phpmyadmin-devel] User Preferences in Permanent Storage Project Updates

Zeeshan M. zeeshan.jp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 10:18:50 CEST 2009

Hi,

I uploaded a revision for patch
#2825187<https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2825187&group_id=23067&atid=377410>at
sourceforge.net <http://zixan.info/?UlByGmx_>.

Notes:

   - Please don't worry about changes in libraries/config.default.php other
   than the addition of $cfg['Servers'][$i]['enable_userprefs'] = TRUE;.  I
   made other changes just for the sake of my local system.
   - I tried to generalize lang strings by excluding settings' name from the
   error message.  Each setting name is set in server_perm_storage.php.  I just
   had a thought that it may cause a conflict with other languages if some
   settings have different names.  For example, 'foreign key maximum limit' may
   be called 'límite máximo de claves foráneas' in Spanish.  (Thanks to Google
   translator, BTW.)
   - Error handling is implemented in this revision.  Users see a success
   message if input meets the criteria, and an error message is displayed if
   there is an error found.
   - I see how I can use a loop to process settings, but I am wondering
   since not all of the settings have same test criterion it may not be a
   probable solution.  What are your thoughts?
   - In the future release, I will write a little blurb about each setting
   somewhere in the interface.  I believe it will better assist the users to
   know what each setting is about.  I thought it may be important as some of
   these settings will be modified by some users for the first time.
   - Also for future release: input box is highlighted if incorrect value is
   entered, and previously entered value is also displayed instead of the one
   in DB.  Of course, implement control over other settings, and use
PMA_query_as_controluser()
   for querying db.

Thanks!

Best regards,