[Phpmyadmin-devel] about choosing table layout for pmadb

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Fri Jun 5 11:32:02 CEST 2009

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Dne Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:25:40 -0400
> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>
>> Zeeshan is proposing a new table to store user preferences:
>> http://zixan.info/2009/06/04/gsoc-week-two-progress/#comments
>>
>> Michal answers in the blog that this does not scale. When looking at
>> Zeeshan's proposal, I had the same idea for a moment. However, after
>> some researches, I am tempted to reject Michal's proposal.
>
> I know it's not perfect solution. But when I look at our configuration
> file, we have far too many options, to represent them as columns in
> table. Furthermore adding new option would mean to force users to
> upgrade the table.

Yes there are downsides for each alternative. Another downside for the
EAV model is that at user login (session initialization) we need to read
  all the rows holding the user prefs for this user, instead of just one
read if each option has its own column.

As mentionned in one of the links I gave, the EAV model also makes it
difficult to code the possible choices for an option, for example into
an ENUM.

About upgrading, I expect Zeeshan to implement a feature to auto-create
and auto-upgrade the table (which could be extended to all of our pmadb
tables).

Marc