[Phpmyadmin-devel] Using gettext?
michal at cihar.com
Tue Jun 9 12:12:20 CEST 2009
while looking at possibilities for web based translation tool, I
(again) started to think about switching to gettext based system from
current string based. The good thing is that the migration should not
be hard (I already migrated one small PHP project to gettext).
- standard format, what means that translators can use
translation editors or other tools
- support for fuzzy translations - when we have to change English text,
translators will know this and translation can be also fixed
- support for plural forms
- texts are directly in place where they are used
- not used strings will be automatically dropped
- gettext extension in PHP is bad, we would have to use implementation
in PHP (we can use http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/php-gettext/)
- more complicated releases/SVN deployment - you have to compile po
files to binary form
What do you think?
In case we decide to switch I volunteer to do the migration.
Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://blog.cihar.com
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Developers