[Phpmyadmin-devel] about XML import

Derek Schaefer derek.schaefer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 23:37:18 CEST 2009

Hey Mark,

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. I've played with the idea a
little bit, and exporting some type of structure schema along with the
XML data would not be all that difficult.

Now, that would definitely make importing the PMA XML far easier (and
more accurate, naturally) but there are still many other formats where
such a setup is not feasible. Mainly, all formats that are external from
PMA where the presence of such a structure cannot be guaranteed. I.E.
ODS, Excel, CSV, etc.

I'll plan on making the necessary alterations to the XML export plug-in
to make importing XML much more efficient, but it seems to me that the
type/size-detection algorithm (in some incarnation) will still need to
be present for those other formats.

If anyone has any insight that they would like to offer, please let me
know.

-Derek Schaefer