[Phpmyadmin-devel] phpmyadmin appliance

Jordi Massaguer Pla jordimassaguerpla at yahoo.es
Wed Mar 25 17:31:25 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 14:18 +0100, Michal Čihař wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dne Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:22:34 +0100
> Jordi Massaguer Pla <jordimassaguerpla at yahoo.es> napsal(a):
>
> > No secure means no specific firewall or specific apache configuration
> > than the default one.
> >
> > What will you like to see in this appliance so we can say it is
> > safe/secure? We could write a firstboot module and ask for the stuff you
> > want, like firewall rules or apache conf, or phpmyadmin users, or mysql
> > users... could you make a list of this?
>
> I think that configuring MySQL root password should be enough. Having
> things accessible from outside does not look as a problem to me as long
> as they are password protected.

So, which password should we use? That is the tricky question...

I have two ideas, tell me which you like most:

1- We let the user choose the password on firstboot.

2- We provide with a script for changing the password before booting.

Booting the appliance means that it will configure hardware, so moving
it afterwards can be tricky. So option number 1 means that we will
configure the password on the final location. Option number 2 means that
we will configure before it is delivered to the user, for example,
before downloading it from someone's webpage.

So, who should know the password to protect the appliance, the final
user or the distributor?