[Phpmyadmin-devel] translatewiki.net

Siebrand Mazeland s.mazeland at xs4all.nl
Thu May 28 01:57:45 CEST 2009

Hi Michal, e.a.

I have no idea how you expected this message to reach me, but as some kind
of miracle I stubled into a forum that has a copy of the message.

At translatewiki.net[2] we use the MediaWiki extension Translate[3] to
facilitate the translation process. We import from and export to native
product files. For this we have file format support components[4]. As far as
I could assess, we have no problem supporting phpMyAdmin's current source
format, although I have no tested yet. Output files for languages other than
English will be clean (stripped of all comments). Links to some examples of
supported file formats and results below my signature.

We are currently seeking to connect with succesful FOSS developer
communities which will allow us to grow our user base, and allow newly
supported products to get more localisations actively maintained. We commit
early and often. Quantity and quality of the localisations will rise as time
progresses - users can contribute a spell fix, one translation, or
continuously maintain a localisation. We Assume Good Faith: anyone can edit
after requesting translator access until it is clear he cannot, in which
case we have tried to mentor, teach, correct, etc. As more users work on a
product in a language, the quality of the translations improves, because of
review, but also because people that are using a product in their own
language suggest improvements. We encourage partnering developer communities
to encourage their current translators (that often submit patches that have
to be applied, etc), to start working at translatewiki.net.

More information on what we do and how from a translator perspective and
from a supported product developer community perspective is available.
Please feel free to come look around and ask questions on-wiki.

>From our perspective it is important to get an idea if phpMyAdmin and
translatewiki.net working together is something that has a chance. If so, I
would like to go into more detail with one or a few of you, so we can work
out the details and seek wide consensus again.

Cheers! Siebrand

* MediaWiki messages:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/languages/messages/Me
ssagesAf.php?revision=51034&view=markup
* MediaWiki extension messages:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/extensions/ABC/ABC.i18n.php?
revision=50830&view=markup
* FreeCol:
http://freecol.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freecol/freecol/trunk/src/net/sf/f
reecol/client/gui/i18n/FreeColMessages_cs_CZ.properties?revision=5420&view=m
arkup
* NOCC:
http://nocc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nocc/trunk/webmail/lang/eu.php?revisi
on=1865&view=markup
* MantisBT:
http://git.mantisbt.org/?p=mantisbt.git;a=blob;f=lang/strings_catalan.txt;h=
0d94e1427d0d87e2394998dcc63c7af8d97a563d;hb=be8ef7233d5538bef920bb2d9164a8a6
2b78c6cd

From: Michal Čihař <michal at ci...> - 2009-05-25 10:05

Attachments: signature.asc
Hi

you wrote me on wiki [1] about using translatewiki.net for phpMyAdmin
translations. We currently have PHP file for each translation and
translators handling them. How complicated would be to include
phpMyAdmin in traslatewiki.net and how do you merge translations back?

[1] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/User_talk:Nijel
[2] http://translatewiki.net
[3] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate (may be a little
outdated)