[Phpmyadmin-devel] Replication support & code style

Herman van Rink rink at initfour.nl
Sun Sep 13 15:51:34 CEST 2009

Hi,

These last few days I have been playing with the code for replication
and the related synchronization code.

I regret not having had the time this summer to test this earlier....
But the impression I get is that the code has only been tested in a
limited scenario.

Some of the following points could be considered "nice to have's", but I
wanted to at least note them.

At every step I run into problems:

1) The added replication user missed the privileges to even query for
the master info (REPLICATION CLIENT)
2) Synchronisation is only made possible  directly after setting the
master info. But for this the replication user requires even more
privileges. So there should be some way to use different credentials for
this.

3) When syncing it fails me either with : Fatal error: Allowed memory
size of x bytes exhausted
  or Backtrace from warning 'Invalid argument supplied for foreach()' at
svn_root/trunk/phpMyAdmin/libraries/server_synchronize.lib.php 641:

The memory problem occured when the database to sync was larger then the
php's memory_limit. But increasing this to N*10 was still not enough :(.

4) There should be a way to change the Binlog_Do_DB and
Binlog_Ignore_DB.  Although this requires manual editing the my.cnf why
not reuse the initial form to make this clear?

5) There should be a way to set Replicate_Do_DB on the slave. We could
reuse some code from the master config generator for this.

6) Why not include a small list of slaves for a configured master?
    SHOW SLAVE HOSTS; should provide this data

7) The code style and HTML validity are standards are not met.
  Indentation, newlines ( I saw a dos2unix was needed by  Michal),
overall structure in harmony with the style guidelines
  Could we add this to the list of 'things to check' on future GSOC's?

In conclusion, I would like to ask the GSOC students to look over the
svn diffs from the last few days which relate to the new code.
If you are willing to help in fixing similar problems then that's great,
but at least try to learn from them.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Regards,

Herman van Rink