[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC - Server Stats

Philip Frank ich at philipfrank.de
Thu Apr 1 22:44:45 CEST 2010

2010/4/1 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> Philip Frank a écrit :
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm a student from Munich, Germany and stumbled across the GSoC Idea
>> of collecting the data that is shown on the server status page and
>> rendering them as graphs over time. I will apply in the next days,
>> here is what I thought of implementing when I'm accepted:
>>
>> Data collection: In the past, I used rrdtool to collect stats on a
>> server. Its datastore has a limited size - over time old entries get
>> merged together and the data gets thinner, but is never completely
>> deleted. Unfortunately, it is not very portable. Therefor, I would
>> implement a similarily behaving datastore ontop of a mysql table. I
>> think of storing each set of measures as a row and limit the number of
>> total rows, making room for new entries by combining one pair of
>> neighbouring old entries together.
>
> Hi Philip,
> so you plan that an external process will collect data? Please have a
> look on this list archives, this was discussed a few days ago.

Hi Marc,
i thought the process could be triggered by a cron, but if that is not
an option, historic data can not be collected, i guess. How about a
live monitoring tool? I could create a visualisation of the ratios of
the different query types. Constantly updating that with ajax would be
nice, and maybe even collecting the data in the browser and plotting
graphes.

Philip