[Phpmyadmin-devel] The format of the new documentation.

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Apr 6 08:50:07 CEST 2010

Hi

Dne Mon, 5 Apr 2010 17:54:25 +0200
Cato Auestad <bleakgadfly at fsfe.org> napsal(a):

> I have had a dialog with Michal Čihař regarding work on a new documentation
> for the phpMyAdmin project.

Just to describe a background here a little bit: I originally wanted
this to be a GSoC task, but after Marc pointed out that documentation
work is not allowed there, I opened a position with similar description
at sf.net website. That's how Cato has contacted me.

The reason for this is that I feel that current documentation in form
of FAQ is not really easy to read and contains many historical things
which basically have no relevance today.

> Texinfo is my preferred way of writing documentation, and at the moment the
> only format I am used to write in.
> I would like to create a discussion around what format in which the
> documentation should be written in.

Texinfo[0] is the official documentation format of the GNU project and
it has wide range of output formats [1]. On the other side it is still
TeX with all pros and cons you get with it.

There are lot of other alternatives we could use, just to mention some:

- Docbook (XML markup, widely used format) [2]
- Sphinx (text markup, generates nice html docs with search) [3]
- stay with HTML as we use it right now

[0]:http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/
[1]:http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Output-Formats
[2]:http://www.docbook.org/